Safety Rules and Tips for All Riders
- HELMETS are mandatory!
- It’s a good idea to carry your smart phone with you along with your ID and contact information.
- Ride in single file. Bicyclists are never allowed to impede traffic. There may be times where bicycles may travel 2 abreast when traffic is not impeded. It is a traffic violation to ride more than 2 abreast.
- The use of headphones and/or loud speakers is NOT permitted.
- Follow the same traffic rules you would if you were driving a car.
- Be mindful of other cyclists.
- Do not follow too closely behind other bicycles.
- Let other riders, and motorists, know what you are doing.
- Pass only on the left, and call out “On your left!” when passing.
- Use hand signals when turning or when stopping
- Check for any approaching vehicles before changing lanes.
- Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.
- All riders must comply with NJ traffic laws as they apply to bicycles.
- When passing through an intersection do not call out “CLEAR”. Though many cyclist do this, it is not safe. What may be CLEAR for you may not be CLEAR for the riders behind you. Every rider must make that determination themselves.
Additional Safety Information
|Bicycle Street Smarts||New Jersey Bicycle and Pedestrian Law|
|BicycleSafe.com||New Jersey Bicycling Manual|