Safety Rules and Tips for All Riders
- HELMETS are mandatory!
- It’s a good idea to carry your smart phone with you along with your ID and contact information.
- Ride in single file. Bicyclists are never allowed to impede traffic. There may be times where bicycles may travel 2 abreast when traffic is not impeded. It is a traffic violation to ride more than 2 abreast.
- The use of headphones and/or loud speakers is NOT permitted.
- Follow the same traffic rules you would if you were driving a car.
- Be mindful of other cyclists.
- Do not follow too closely behind other bicycles.
- Let other riders, and motorists, know what you are doing.
- Pass only on the left, and call out “On your left!” when passing.
- Use hand signals when turning or when stopping.
- Check for any approaching vehicles before changing lanes.
- Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.
- All riders must comply with NJ traffic laws as they apply to bicycles.
- When passing through an intersection do not call out “CLEAR”. Though many cyclist do this, it is not safe: what may be CLEAR for you may not be CLEAR for the riders behind you. Every rider must make that determination themselves.
Additional Safety Information
|Bicycle Street Smarts||New Jersey Bicycle and Pedestrian Law|
|BicycleSafe.com||New Jersey Bicycling Manual|